Monday, March 1, 2021

February Reads

 Fiction: 



  • News of the World by Paulette Jiles 
    • 3 Stars 
    • The plot was fascinating, but the ending was abrupt and the writing difficult to follow. 
    • I don't say this often, but just wait for the movie to come out.  With Tom Hanks in the lead, my guess is that it'll be better than the book. 
  • Romancing Mr. Bridgerton by Julia Quinn 
    • 4 Stars 
    • Ok, I keep saying that I won't read any more Bridgeton books, but then I do.  I just keep getting so involved with the characters and HAVE to know what happens! I'm trying to quit. 
  • The Book of Lost Names by Kristin Harmel 
    • 4 Stars 
    • This. Story. Was. Awesome.  
    • The writing seemed a bit clunky to me, but I otherwise loved it. 
  • Lakeshire Park by Meagan Walker 
    • 4 Stars 
    • This was a lovely little Regency Romance that gave my brain a little break.  
  • The Address by Fiona Davis 
    • 5 Stars 
    • This was, by far, the best of Davis's books so far.  Definitely worth the read!  
  • My Dear Hamilton by Stephanie Dray & Laura Kaye 
    • 5 Stars 
    • At about 800 pages, this book isn't for casual reading!  That said, it was excellent.  I had so much fun comparing it to the play.  
  • Fair as a Star by Mimi Matthews 
    • 4 Stars 
    • I read this while on vacation a few weeks ago, and it was another fun, clean, and light Regency Romance from Matthews. 
  • The Dollhouse by Fiona Davis 
    • 4 Stars 
    • The Address is easily Davis's best, but this one and Chelsea Girls are also thoroughly enjoyable.  If you like history with a bit of mystery and drama, Fiona Davis is excellent.  
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams 
    • 3 Stars 
    • This one was definitely outside my typical reading, but the Hubby had checked it out and since it's something of a cult classic, I decided to give it a try. 
    • While the writing was extremely witty and I appreciated the dry, British humor, I had a difficult time "getting in" to the story.  The characters are caricatures and the whole story was satirical.  Again, I appreciated the genius, but it wasn't my cup of tea.   

Nonfiction: 


  • Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance 
    • 4 Stars 
    • This was a fascinating memoir that really helped me understand our current political climate.  There's a chapter that almost eerily foretells the rise of Donald Trump and the reasons he is so beloved by such a large portion of the country.  This wasn't, by any stretch of the imagination, a pleasurable read, but it was an important one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment